April 16, 2008

Granny and Papa are going dancing

Granny and I have decided to go dancing, but not in the conventional way. We've joined the Dance Dance Revolution. In case you haven't figured it out, we are not going disco dancing or ballroom dancing or square dancing. It's a video game with two dance mats that test your coordination, endurance, balance and reflexes.
It's so frustrating. Neither of us has the balance that we used to have and we each had to dance with a broomstick. We have the Disney version of the game so the music is completely foreign to us. Granny keeps quitting when the game tells Papa that he winning. Papa looses patience with Grandma and with the game even when it's his own fault. We are not as technical as Matthew, Luke, and Aubrey. We are having a terrible time learning to set the levels of difficulty. Papa's feet are too big and they don't fit on the pad without stepping on the wrong square.
It is beneficial. Granny (that is an affectionate term!) has been going to Curves with a friend and it has been helping her, but Papa can't go to curves. There is some major sexual discrimination going on there. We decided that the PS2 was a cheaper alternative than getting Papa a new membership to the YMCA. When we finished our first clumsy dancing session, we were both sweating up a storm.
We need an education! Maybe we can convince our grandchildren to come and teach us how to control the game. Maybe we can even have our own version of The Golden Years Dancing with the stars.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't understand the game but it does sound interesting. If you keep it up you will be so fast and good at it that you will feel like teenagers. Have fun.

Kent said...

The idea is to loose weight, hopefully. My problem is that my gut has gotten so big I can't see my toes any more.

Larry said...

Kent Astaire and Betty Rogers?

Kent said...

That's a good one, Larry. It's all we can do to stand up straight.

Brenda said...

Pretty soon you'll both be bustin' your moves all over the place...hopefully you won't break anything before that glorious moment happens!!! I can't wait to get mine and join the Revolution as well! BUT...I won't be getting the Disney one. Although it probably won't matter, cuz I won't know any of the songs on the other games either, but the beat will get me movin'!! So watch out, because when I get mine, it will be GAME ON!!!!

Andrea said...

You should have saved your pennies a little while longer and purchased the Wii. I is putting out an a program that does yoga, etc.!!! Makes you do everything physically, from what I understand!

Kent said...

Brenda, I am looking forward to competing with you one on one. That would be a blast regardless of the music.

Andi, I considered a Wii, but I didn't have enough pennies in the Jar. Maybe another time.

I know that Eric has a Wii. I wonder what he's doing with his.

Larry said...

How is the dancing?

Kent said...

Not well.

I am really having a hard time with the motivation.

We have been watching a golden retriever for a friend from Longmont for the last 4 weeks. I have been doing pretty well at taking her for walks in the Garden of the Gods. It's really close to the house and it's beautiful first thing in the mornings. Some mornings, I have been the only person in the park.

Larry said...

I like to dance, but do not do it much. Jeanette and I go about once a year for one or two dances.

Kent said...

It has been several years now since we've gone dancing. When we first moved to Longmont, we joined a square dancing club. We really enjoyed it, but it took too much time away from our other responsabilities.

Larry said...

It must be time to get the dancing shoes on again.

It was nice to see you in Utah.

Kent said...

I need to do something to get the lead out of my back end.

Walking looks more appealing at the present time.

We went to a memorial service today. We saw some of Betty's relatives we haven't seen for a while. One lost a lot of weight with Judo. I am not prepared for that. I don't like hurting.

Larry said...

Go dancing!