May 29, 2009

Learning Opportunities

There have been times in my life that I have had my feelings hurt or have felt discouraged. Today was such a day. As I look back, those experiences have provided me with opportunities to be bitter and angry, or an opportunity to learn, grow, improve and to avoid similar circumstances in the future.

I went to a meeting today and met with a disappointment. I came home from the meeting with a heavy heart, and feeling disappointed. I was lucky to have a good friend that was sensitive to the situation. He called me and with a short conversation, he helped me feel better about myself and about my overly tender feelings.

Within an hour after the meeting another friend, a member of my church came by to visit us in our home. A phone call would have been adequate to conduct his business. He expressed love and concern for us.

Our evening meal tonight ended with a fortune cookie. It said, "Our problems never leave leave us where we found them." I believe that it is true. Our problems can give us an excuse for spend our energies on a pity party, or they can give us an opportunity to learn and grow. I really want to make this experience an opportunity to improve.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad that whatever happened was not too hard on you. Tender feelings are a blessing at times and a curse at other times. I hope you are alright. I love you so very much. Mom

Danette said...

I like that quote I'll have to remember it.

Larry said...

Now I am curious as to what the news was that caused you distress. I hope all is well on the home front.