November 10, 2010

I Took it in the Chin

Yesterday was an emotional day. Betty is out of town helping care Aubrey. Today was not a good day for her and her tumor is interfering with her breathing. The walls were coming at me because I am working from home and don't have a lot of face to face contact as I would prefer. I called Betty's dad and he suggested that I leave the computer for a while and take a walk outdoors.

I laced up my walking shoes, activated my iPod pedometer and headed out for a twenty minute walk in the neighborhood. It was beginning to get a bit damp and cold and I was walking at a pretty good clip. I got to an area where the sidewalks were a uneven. I caught my toe on a lifted section of sidewalk, and down I came into a four point landing. I saw stars as my face hit and my chin and wire framed trifocals took the brunt of the fall. I got up, straightened the frames of my glasses, dusted myself off and looked around hoping nobody say me take a nose dive into the concrete. I was a little unsteady on my feet, but I finished my walk.

After washing my wounds with peroxide and applying ointment and bandages, I went on to finish the day. Although I was a bit sore and a bit wiser about when and where I walk, I felt good that I had stuck to my committment to exercise every day this week. I don't know how it will affect the scale, but I do know that I feel better about working toward a goal consistently.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry you got hurt. I have been walking almost every school day since Aug. I feel better because of it. Keep exercising. It is good for you and me.

Unknown said...

I am sorry for the hurt. Are you
O K? I have fallen twice, both times on my face, it is an awful feeling. Are you still hurting? Love you Mom

Kent said...

I got a little scrape on my chin and mangled my glasses, but it hurt my pride more than anything. I don't think anyone saw, but I sure felt clumsy.

Larry said...

Once in a while we have to take it on the chin. The last time we went bowling I did a faceplant on the bowling lane in the oiled section. I was sumarily embarassed an determined I was through bowling. It was quite disheartening.