February 13, 2011

When life seems overwhelming

I've always been easily discouraged when faced with situations that are difficult and out of the ordinary.  Many times in life, I have found myself quitting when the going got difficult.  This last two years, I have gained a new perspective as I have watched my family adjust and grow with some challenging situations.  My granddaughter, Aubrey, was diagnosed with a rare tumor in her brain stem.  Although there have been difficult times, I have watched her, her parents and my wife face difficult situations with amazing courage.  One such time was our trip recently to the local library.

Aubrey has consistently gotten sicker.  As she has faced new situations, she and her parents have done it with courage and with a sense of determination that is to be admired.  One day, after being confined to her bedroom for months, she announced that she was tired of being shut up and wanted to get out.  She wanted to go to the library and get a new book to read.

Her parents took hours to prepare her for the trip and make arrangements to get transportation arranged for her as it has been too difficult to take her in the family car.  The weather was cold, but she was determined.  Tim lifted her from her bed and got her situated in a specialized wheel chair.


She posed with Grandma and me for a photo while we waited for the Bus with a lift to arrive.  Her voice was weak, but her determination was strong.

When our little party reached the Library, the staff treated us well.  They knew Aubrey well because of the many hours she had spent in the library before her illness.  The welcomed her back and offered assistance. 


When we got to the library, she asked the librarian if she could visit the special historical collection.  She wanted to know about a hotel erected in 1899. 

We all got busy searching what for we could find, but to no avail.  Aubrey was having the time of her life.  She was doing something that she enjoyed doing.


The library staff brought an armful of books and showed them to Aubrey one by one.



She was delighted when she found a book that she was interested in.


Our visit to the library was short, but Aubrey had done something she wanted to do.

Her dad packed up in her wheel chair, wrapped her up in a blanket and took her for a two block walk to a Chinese Restaurant to end the excursion.  She was out of her bedroom for a time and enjoying it. When when got to the restaurant and took one bite, she was ill and needed to be taken home.

Over and over again, I have watched this young lady be faced with difficult situations.  For the most part, she adapts and handles the situation with courage and a good attitude.

Life isn't always fair.  Sometimes we have to deal with things that seem impossible.  By watching Aubrey, I have learned, and am determined that I will face those situations with a positive attitude and determination to make the best of the situation.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

What a beautiful lesson. I hope I can do better like Aubrey.

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing Dad! It was nice to see you out and about, getting fresh air!

Aubrey was a determined little girl, and I truly admire her strength.

I believe Tim and Brenda were given a task that only they could handle! What a loved young lady, by her family and her community! WOW!