February 04, 2010

I've taken a challenge

Betty and I are trying to get healthier.  After I have spent years sitting in front of a computer monitor earning a living, I am beginning to suffer the consequences of inactivity.  If I don't want to be disabled in time, I need to do something.

We attended a Weight Watchers meeting last night and the topic was motivation.  In November last year, I began a virtual trek across the country as my ancestors did when they came to the west in search of religious freedom.  I am wearing a pedometer and am tracking the distance I walk each day.  Over time, however, I have let my motivation wane and have done less and less.  I began in Palmyra, NY and have logged enough steps to get me to Columbus, OH.

I was introduced to a Web site, MapMyWalk.com.  I am mapping my trek so that I can see my progress and hopefully, so I can stay motivated.  I have taken their first challenge to walk a marathon in 30 days.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's a beginning.  I'll be mapping my progress and sharing it to keep me accountable.  As I walk and get in better shape, I'll share my progress.  Hopefully, I will be able to walk back into better health.

5 comments:

Jeanette said...

I'm sure you can do enough walking. What a great idea. I am going to consider this idea for me as well. Arlo is training to run a marathon. Maybe I can walk a marathon. Thanks for the motivation.

Gloria said...

ditto on the motivation. so you will have to email me more about this site. Don and I need to go forward with such motivation. Maybe as a family we can help each other out.

Kent said...

This has been really effective at showing me just how inactive I am. I have been averaging only about a mile and a half a day this last week. I am going to try to step my activity up a bit and get to two miles a day. I remember when Dad was recovering from his heart surgery, it was recommended that he walk four miles a day. I don't do that very often.

Unknown said...

Good for you. I swim 6 mornings a week, but this past week I have been sick so I didn't swim. I start again tomorrow.

Kent said...

Mom, you sounded bad on the phone. I hope you are feeling better.

Yesterday, I stayed on my WW program, took 95929 steps for a total of 5.71 Miles. I'll update my map today with a total of 31 Miles. I did better, but still have plenty of room for improvement.