March 19, 2008

Beware of gifts

A small USB mouse seemed like a super gift. It was a bit small but was easy to pack into my brief case and take with my new notebook. I struggle with the touch pad on the bottom of the keyboard. I keep ending up in places I didn't intend to go.
I started using the little mouse pretty heavily because it was a good substitute for the touch pad. I started waking up in the morning with a horrible pain in my right thumb. Before long it started feeling weaker. I talked to a physical therapist and she told me that the pain, weakness and numbness are symptoms of corpal tunnel syndrome and that it could be caused by the small mouse.
I am back to using a full size mouse and the symptoms are abating. Hopefully I'll be back to posting more regularly on the blogs again.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I often have tingling down my arms and my ring fingers and pinkies get all tingly. Often it's brought on when I humped over in front of the computer for way too long!

Larry said...

I am sorry that you had difficulties with your hand. I too do not like the touchpads, because I have such a strong signal from my hands that I do not have to touch the pad for it to function. I would like a joystick in the keyboard better.

I am glad that you are recovering.

Love,
Larry

Unknown said...

I understand the thing with the key pad. I was like you. both of you. I ended up all over the computer. Larry sent me a mouse and that has been wonderful.

I am leaving in the morning to go to Mesa. Next week end, Bonnie and Don and Gloria are coming to pick me up.

Larry, thanks for the package. I haven't had time to write a note. You are special, You and Kent too.

Mom

Larry said...

Even when I use the pressure pad on the laptop I turn it off between times when I type as to preclude the cursor being moved to another location in the middle of my keystrokes.