March 08, 2008

The houses that we have called home

When I first got out of the service, Andrea and Robert's mother and I lived at 3 West Cheyene Road. We lived there when Andrea was born. The house at one time was a luxurious single family dwelling. It was converted by someone into six separate apartments. When we first lived there, it looked like a huge log house by the side of a babbling brook. When we lived in that house, Terry Golly and Dale Walters were our neighbors and close friends.

When Andrea was just a few months old, we purchased the house on Montrose Ave in Stratton meadows. When we moved in, the house was a bit run down and had no grass. Over the years, we added a lawn and garden and planted grass. We lived there for a lot of years.

We went through a divorce after being married for 13 years. When I was looking for an apartment, The best option I could find was 3 West Cheyenne Road. The house had been given a face lift and was no longer a Log building, but the inside was largely unchanged. I got a job managing the apartments to pay for the rent. I actually lived in the same apartment where we lived when Andrea was born. When the opportunity presented itself, I moved into a different apartment in the same building. Mom came and lived there with me for a year. I lived there when I met and married Betty.

Betty and I soon moved to a home on 31st Street. It was cute little 2 bedroom home with a nice large yard. We lived there when Larry and Jeanette moved back to Colorado from Texas. They stayed with us for a short while as they got settled with a new employer and found a home of their own. I think at that time, the three oldest were with them.

One day, while out walking, we saw a home 1 block north of where we lived that was for rent. It had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a two car garage, a covered patio and a small yard. We lived there when IBM closed the plant in Colorado Springs and we were transferred to Longmont, CO.

Our first home in Longmont was a duplex with 2 bedrooms and a very small living room and a kitchen. This little place on Collyer was just too small.

We found another duplex on Martinez Street. We liked it a lot better, but it had electric heating. It was really expensive to keep. While we lived there, Andi came to live with us. The yard was so small that I could mow it in about ten minutes. If we barbequed in the back yard, it was almost impossible to talk over the roar of passing trains.

We eventually bought a brick home on Fairbanks st. It had four bedrooms and an attached garage. It was here that we lived when Robert came to live with us. It was here that we lived when Matthew was born and when Andre got married.

Not long after Robert left home, we bought a house one block north of the Fairbanks house. Does that sound familiar?

We came to Colorado Springs to be closer to Betty's Dad. We lived on Mesa Road in the house of our dreams, but it was too large and to expensive to maintain.

We just recently moved to our current home on 30th Street. It's about a mile from the other house. It is considerably smaller, but it's adequate for our needs and we are learning to love it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Time does change our lives doesn't it? I have watched you grow and do so many good things. I feel that you have made many good choices and have become more settled. I am proud to call you my son. I love you I loved the time we spent that year That I lived with you. I think you made a good choice when you married Betty. You are both special. Mom

Larry said...

When you lived in Colorado Springs in the house on 31st we had 5 children. Anita was born when we lived in Texas. Jeanette stayed in Alamosa with Don and Gloria while I stayed with you, until Martin Marietta refused to pay the per diem because we were not in the same domicile. When Martin Marietta decided to make that little stipulation then we all moved in with you for a few weeks while we found a place to stay in Denver.

You moved out not long after we left for Denver. There were some new boarders that took some mail that was sent to me at that address and acquired a credit card with my name. They were apparently not smart enough to know that they could be traced to that address. Fraud is not a smart thing.

Thank you for putting us up at that time. we needed some help and you were most helpful.

Kent said...

That goes to show us that identity theft is not a new thing. I went back to that house to find out what was happening with our mail and why we weren't getting it. I met the woman that was stealing our mail.

She was dumb enough that she had bought a very expensive mountain bick and had it mounted on their run down volkswagen. I called the police and reported it. They were caught with the merchandise they had bought with our stolen identities.

Lucky for us that she made mistakes applying for the credit card. Also lucky for us that she was as smart as she was.

Larry said...

In general idiots are the only criminals. If they were to think things through to their logical conclusion they would not do the act.