September 11, 2008

New family search

I started doing family history work when I was in high school by gathering the records from Mom, Aunt Elma Pagett, Aunt Jenny Schofield, and anybody else that was willing to share their records with me.

When Jack Dunn and Gayle Schlegel both lived in Colorado Springs, we worked together on compiling records that I had with the records from Ina Olsen, Joe Dunn, Elma Pagett. Back then, we were just typing the records on paper and submissions to Salt Lake took up to a year to complete.

After some time, we began entering the data into the PAF program using the computer. Submissions were easier and much less laborious than entering the records by mailing them and waiting for approvals to come back. I submitted our records to the ancestral file, but it was frustrating when I looked for data and there was no documentation indicating where the records had come from.

When we were in Kanab this summer, Gloria showed us the new Family search software. I was really excited to see how it worked, but I was frustrated because it wasn't available to us.

This last Sunday, we received the training for the new version of the Family Search software published by the Church. It will be rolled out in the Denver Temple district on September 16th and I can hardly wait. I have seen the family history program evolve and grow ever more efficient and easy to share. I am really looking forward to bringing my Genealogical research into the 21st century.

4 comments:

Larry said...

I appreciate the work you have done in genealogical research. I have not done much myself, even though I was the Family History Center Director for a few years. I spent most of my time just taking care of the equipment and setting up the center so others could do the footwork.

Unknown said...

Kent, I have appreciated the work that you have done on Family History. I am anxious to receive the new training that you talk about. I am a family history consultant for our ward and I know so little. Utah is the last place for the program to be installed. Two years a go I took a training class in our family history center. They told us then that we would be the last to receive the new program, because they were trying it out in the little temples first, so they could work out the glitches. We still don't have it. I am proud of the work that you have done and I hope that I can learn and do a good job of my calling. Mom

Kent said...

Well, I'm online. I've been poking around, and I'm really impressed. There's a lot of work to do and this system is going to make it a lot easier to do the work. I've already found information I didn't have and I've found some errors that need to be corrected. I've seen some really good quality research, and I've seen some sloppy, lazily approached entries that are going to take a while to clean up.

Larry said...

Maybe someday I will get the bug.