October 25, 2008

I found a wonderful qote.

I've been reading The Story of Roland written by James Baldwin and published in 1917. The book has had quite a history with me. At some time, the ragged old volume belonged to the Free Public Library of Newark, RI. It was discarded by them and it came into the possession of the Capulin, Colorado School District 13. This school district was disbanded in 1966 when I was as student and working in the Library at Centauri High School. The worn old book was going to be destroyed. I was interested in it because of my first name and I was allowed to take it home as my own. I never got around to reading it. I have kept it for over 40 years and have carried it from home to home letting it collect dust.

A month ago, I was talking to a co-worker from Raliegh, NC. He commented that my name was not listed in the company directory as "Kent" and he had had some difficulty finding me in the company directory. He told me he was reading "The Story of Roland" and asked me if I had ever read it. He was reading it and told me about the wonderful characteristics of the story. I decided it was time open its covers.

Tonight, I was reading in chapter 13 of the book, "The Princes of Cathay". I found this wonderful quote by Malagis, the wizard:
"Did you ever think, my children, that there is magic in every book, and that when you open the pages, good fairies or wicked elves come and whisper to you? The words are the mysterious creatures that salute the magician who reads; and they tell him of the wonderful past, and lay bare for him the secrets of the present and the future."
That's true for more than Malagis' book of enchantments. This morning, I had a rare opportunity to read the opening chapter of a work in progress. What an opportunity! Words can be so powerful! They can invoke emotions. They can make us feel warm and secure or afraid and anxious. They can create images in our mind's eye. They can debase us, or they can motivate us to be better people.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Sounds like I have my next book to read. Thanks for sharing. I hope I can find one around here.

Jeanette said...

Oh yeah. Great quote

Kent said...

When I finish the book, I'll be happy to mail it to you. I am about half way through.

Ruth Worthington said...

Looks like one I should check out - that is a terrific quote! It sounds like something I would say to Jacob :). Thanks for sharing! I enjoy your blog!