October 02, 2008

Bermejillo

Toward the end of my mission in Mexico, I was living and working in Torreon, Coahuila. I met and worked with a very special family. The picture to the left is of David and Tomasa Castaneda, Tomasa's brother Pablito and three of their children. They were a humble, hard working family. When Elder Fillmore and I worked with them so many years ago, they lived in the desert near Bermejillo, Durango, Mexico. They were eager to hear our message and accepted it completely.
When the time came for their baptism, we had a difficult time getting them to the chapel to baptize them. Finally one day, after a rainstorm, we found enough water in a deep hole in the desert floor to baptize them. David dropped a rotting tree down into the hole so that he could use it to climb down into the hole. As he lowered himself into the muddy water in his pure white clothing, a scorpion scurried out from under the loosened bark and stung him. He had a painful hand and got very ill, but his spirits were not dampened.
At the same time, the other elders were working with a local community leader. He and his entire congregation joined the church.
I came home from my mission, and many years later, I decided to call Elder George Fillmore. We visited and he told me that he was still in contact with the Castaneda family. They were in the United States for October conference. George made arrangements and we were able to meet with David and Tomasa.
What a wonderful treat! They had one of their sons, Benito and his wife Alma, with them. We laughed and cried and got caught up with one another's lives.
As we were saying our goodbyes, Benito and I traded neckties. The tie he gave me is faded, but I dearly love it. I told him that even though we had just met, I felt that we had always known one another. "Brother Vance", he told me, "we knew each other in the preexistance"
I really hope that the time comes that we can visit again.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember when you and Betty came to see us in Sandy and You had just visited President Martinez and he told you to get in touch with Elder Fillmore. That was an exciting experience. President Hinkley had told in conference, the experience of you teaching the Castaneda family.

Andrea said...

I've always loved your pictures from Mexico!!!

Larry said...

At times I have had interest in finding about what has happened to some of the people from my mission. For a little while after my mission I knew where some of those from my MTC district were and what they were doing, but I have now lost all contact and knowledge of where they are.

There were a couple families in my mission that I am curious as to what has happened to them.

It is nice to read about your mission.

Alan said...

What an amazing find! I have been thinking about my mission a ton recently as my son is on a mission in Brazil, and my daughter's call will come next week! I decided to start looking for people I remember from my mission,and my very first area was in...Bermejillo! Furthermore, I ate every day at Tomasa and David Casteneda's house, and each day their daughter Marisol worked so so hard to help me with the language. I think she was about 12 or so at the time. I love that family with all my heart as they were truly my first missionary 'parents' that we all end up with while serving. Any chance you have contact information?

FYI...I was there in July-August 1985...oh do I remember Bermejillo!

Alan
mablackford@comcast.net

MIRACLES said...

My name is Shelem Castañeda the youngest kid of Castañeda family..You can find me on Facebook as Shelem Castañeda and see recently pictures of my family..
We are so grateful for these wonderful and historic pictures..
Do you have more pictures? we will be so anxious to see them!!

Kent said...

Unfortunately, Shelem, these are the only two photos I can find at the moment. If I find more, I'll be happy to post them. I'll continue searching for more.

I really enjoyed reviewing your family photos on Facebook.