February 01, 2009

Brenda & Eddie


Memories are flowing through my head. I remember when Eddie and Brenda were little, Brenda used to get Eddie to eat worms, wasn't it worms, Brenda? Of course they tell me this after they got a little older. I remember when we first brought Eddie home and we had him home about 2 weeks, and Brenda told us we could take him back to the hospital now, he had been here long enough.

I remember one time when Brenda & my mom went shopping and it was in the winter, so there was a lot of snow on the ground. Mom was on the way home and she was taking the Old Stage Coach Road that goes along directly above there house and all of a sudden mom got stuck in the mud & snow. She put the car in park and told Brenda to stay in her car seat. Mom got out to look the situation over and put some rocks & dirt in front of the wheel and then got back in the car and here is Brenda out of her car seat standing in the driver's seat and had the steering wheel just really turning it cause she was going to help grandma get out of the mud. She was about 2 or 3. My mom never did figure out how she got out of the car seat.


Another time I took Brenda shopping with me and we went to Duckwall's downtown (showing our age a little), my mom went with us. Mom used to make her homemade wine and she used the big balloons to put on the top of the bottles. We got in the store and mom put the balloons in the basket and was going through the check out and Brenda looked at the cashier & said " those balloons aren't for me ya know. My granma makes wine and that's what she got them for!" My mother could have just died!

I went to the store one time and Eddie was in the back seat sucking on his bottle, he was about 6 mos old and Brenda was in the front seat. I parked the car and was going to get 1 gallon of milk and come right back out. I was gone about 3 min. at the most and when I got back to the car, Eddie was just crying so hard and I couldn't figure out why. I looked in the front seat and here is Brenda with Eddie's bottle sucking on it .

As they got older they became closer and loved going trick or treating on Halloween. One time Eddie was learning how to ride a bike & some kid come up to Eddie & was trying to take his bike and boy did Brenda ever take care of him, She told him "you leave my brother alone" and I think she pushed him down or hit him or something, anyway he went home bawling. They used to love to play together in the portal pool in the back yard.

When Eddie was diagnosed with cancer when he was 10 years old, Brenda, 14 yrs old, was the first one to donate her blood for Eddie one time when his white count was low because of the chemotherapy. Many firemen donated blood for him one time because his white count was so low we were told he would die if we couldn't get blood donations. People really came through and Brenda was the first one.

3 comments:

Kent said...

These memories were from a time before I was a member of the family, but I really enjoy reading the stories again and again.

Unknown said...

Betty, thank you for the memories of your children. You are special and so are your children. Mumsy

Brenda said...

Thanks Mom for the trip down memory lane! Yes, I would try like the dickens to convince my little brother that worms were delicious and he really ought to try one. I think I even convinced him to try and ant or two. I was ahead of my time...if I would have just chocolate covered those ants I could have made millions!!! LOL

In my defense with taking Eddie's bottle...it was a hot day and I was so dog gone thirsty I could hardly stand it! In light of a 4 1/2 yr. old's mind, Eddie's bottle was the only logical solution to try and quench my thirst. But the darned bottle nipple just wouldn't put out fast enough for me to drink some and get the bottle back to baby brother before Mom caught me!! Remember when we got home? You put a baby diaper on me. Even as a 4 yr. old I felt so humiliated!!! LOL

Despite our brother and sister quarrels (with a fist fight here and there) I would have done anything for my brother Eddie. It was so nice as we grew up and became adults and our relationship went to a whole different level. My Eddie...how I miss him and wish that we could have grown through life with each other. That he could have been the silly Uncle to my girls. But he's in a better place and is no longer in pain! We'll see him again someday!