April 14, 2009

Sticker shock

The cost of living is so frustrating. It creeps up a little at a time and isn't noticed until we have to make a purchase that is infrequent. When we do make those purchases, we are jolted into reality with the price that is substantially higher than the last time we made a similar purchase.

This last week when I picked my suit at the cleaners, the dry cleaner told me that my suit was completely worn out and would probably not endure another cleaning. Reluctantly, we went shopping. The shop where I bought my last suit has gone out of business. Another business that previously carried suits informed us that they are no longer in the business of selling business suits because there just wasn't enough demand for them.

We ended up at Dillard's. Because of my size, we had to pass up many of the affordable suits in search of something that would fit our budget as well as my over sized body.

I didn't find a suit that suited me. A very capable, courteous clerk came to our assistance. He showed me three suits. One was too snug and one was pin striped. I felt it was a bit bold for me. Our clerk graciously pulled out a catalog with little swatches of fabric and helped me pick just the right color and texture to fit my taste. When he quoted the price, I audibly gasped and Betty turned white. We knew that although I liked the color and fabric, our budget could not support what I had chosen. My attention returned to the racks of suits that were already in the store. One that I had bypassed had suddenly become more attractive and was chosen.

I didn't want to end up at church one Sunday with my undergarments showing the worn condition of my old suit. Although I had not been prepared for a purchase that large, we made it.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you got the suit. It may be along time before you will be able to get one. Things are moving along so fast.

Kent said...

I never thought I would see the day when it is so hard to get the things you need.

Andrea said...

Is there a Men's warehouse there in Colorado Springs? You should check there!!!!

Danette said...

I would have liked to hear how you went to church and the seam ripped. With the way the world is humor is needed!! Ha. Its like this: as soon as you think you've got things under control, someone pulls the rug underneath you. We just had to purchase a new washer I sure could have used that money somewhere else.

Kent said...

That has happened before. We don't want to live through that again.

Andi, the business that wasn't there any more was a Men's warehouse.

Andrea said...

Well then....

Kent said...

well then, what?

Kent said...

I've got the new suit and I'm pleased with it.