July 12, 2008

Little house in the city

I have heard it said that we humans have the tendency to fill whatever space we occupy. We seem to have done just that when we moved into the big house on the hill. The house had a lots of space for storage as well as an ample two car garage, a garden shed, and a work shed.
A time came that it was necessary for us to move into smaller quarters. We moved from a four bedroom home into a two bedroom home. We moved into a smaller garage, and we have no outer buildings other than a small greenhouse that we want to use for raising vegetables.
For the first few months in the new home, we were just settling in we said to ourselves. We needed time to get around to the things that were still piled up in the garage. Today was the day to tackle the neglected storage space. We need to be able to park our new car in the garage and there just isn't enough room for both our accumulated junk and the new car even though the car isn't a very large one.
I took a look at the back door of the garage and nearly bolted. I wasn't ready to handle the boxes, the orders from my sweetheart, and the frustration of finding a home for everything we had been ignoring for months.

I turned and looked at the front door. Yes this garage has a back and a front door. We aren't sure yet if the garage is a one car garage, or if we pack them like sardines to get them both in out of the weather. Betty insisted that we get it done, and we buckled down and started moving things and emptying boxes.


Betty doesn't have the heart to throw things away. She insists that we can make money if we put our junk out in the front yard and intice people to give us money for the things that we'll throw away if nobody buys it. She has labels to put prices on everything, but in the meanwhile, it will have to stay in the garage. It's my most sincere desire that after this marvelous garage sale, our wallets will be well fed and we'll have a chance to try and put both cars out of the weather.


My back is killing me, but I think that before I go to bed tonight, we will be putting Lil Red into the garage. We still have a lot of sorting and pitching to do, but it's really nice to be able to see at least part of the garage floor.

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

I am totally impressed. Will you come and do my two car garage?

Kent said...

We did finally get the car into the garage for the night. There's not much room for anything else. I think I am going to sleep really well tonight.

Larry said...

When we bought our Grand Marquis we thought we would put it in the garage. We cleaned and sorted and drove the car into the garage. We pulled the car back out of the garage and it has not been back in the garage.

We do not have any out buildings other than the two car garage I use as a shop. The two car garage attached to the house is full of other stuff.

Andrea said...

NICE! Congratulations on the hard work completed! I just got rid of two junk vehicles that have been parked in front of my garage, behind my house and no longer retain Jeff's old engines and transfer cases! It's been nice to have room in the garage, but there's so much in the house that could go into the garage to clear that out!

IT'S NEVER DONE AT MY HOUSE HOLD!

Andrea said...

NICE! Congratulations on the hard work completed! I just got rid of two junk vehicles that have been parked in front of my garage, behind my house and no longer retain Jeff's old engines and transfer cases! It's been nice to have room in the garage, but there's so much in the house that could go into the garage to clear that out!

IT'S NEVER DONE AT MY HOUSE HOLD!

Kent said...

It's never done at our household either. I still need to go through all of the garbage on the shelves in the garage and get rid of the things I'm not using.

I just can't get the pack-rat blood out of my system. You never can tell when I might use some piece of junk that I've kept for yaers.

Unknown said...

I'm impressed, too. I think it is hard to know what to keep and what to throw away. A garage is nice. I never got to enjoy the one in Manassa, because it wasn't there long enough. Good work.

Larry said...

Now you have room in your garage. Could you store a few things for us?

Kent said...

When the little red car is in the garage, there isn't enough room for a wish. We still haven't had our garage sale. I'm beginning to feel that it will never happen.

Larry said...

Your focus determines your reality.

Kent said...

Yes, I need to get it done, don't I. Wishing gets me nowhere. Acting will.

Larry said...

A thought genders a desire,
A desire leads to action,
Action forms a habit,
A habit molds your character,
And your character determines your destiny.