July 11, 2008

We've started a SFG

What you are looking at there is our attempt as a Square Foot Garden. It's quite the fad in Longmont and people are telling us that they are getting wonderful results. We put it off until quite late in the season, but we finally got started and created two 4' x 4' boxes. The box is filled with a special mix and each square has a different crop planted. We carefully chose seeds that have enough time left to give us a crop by the end of the growing season.

This year, we planted red radishes, white radishes, parsley, summer squash, lettuce, parsley, chives, turnips, carrots, and marigolds. We will have a real challenge trying to keep the deer and the weeds out.

We are supposed to water the garden from a bucket of sun warmed water so that the cold temperature doesn't stunt the growth of the plants. They are in only six inches of soil, and they only have 60 days of growing season left, more or less.


Betty is the head irrigation engineer, and Brewster is the head foreman. Kent has been the low paid labor in this little project. We are all anxious to see what the end of the summer will bring to us.

Our neighbor told us that we should consider visiting the farmer's market that they hold each weekend at a local park. Betty and I felt that we need to be learning to garden again. Produce is so very expensive and will be even more so as the price of gasoline goes higher.

16 comments:

Brenda said...

I am anxious to hear how this works out for you and how it produces! I keep thinking we need to try something likes this, but haven't done it yet.

No flowers or hanging baskets this year for us. I miss them, but will go ahead and wait till next summer. Summer got started so late up here for us this year, we didn't think it would be worth the time and expense.

Kent said...

We'll keep you posted. We've heard from friends that this is a economical way to have vegetables for the house. I am still a bit skeptical.

Larry said...

When Jeanette and I lived in Littleton we had some elevated garden beds that we were trying to do high density gardening. It works well when it gets enough attention.

We just finished the garden beds when we moved here to Hewitt.

Andrea said...

VERY KEWL! Maybe next summer I can hire you to come and build something like that in my "garden" area, before I decide to concrete it! It's so much work!!!!!

Kent said...

I am not convinced yet that it's the way to go. I haven't even seen a sprout yet. We'll see....

Kent said...

We have sprouts!!

Unknown said...

I raise a garden every year, but it different than the one you are doing. It is too hot in the middle of the Summer. I have had a lot of zucchini and a few tomatoes. I have had watermelon. I have two big watermelons ready to pick. The one I have cut was good. They are about 18 inches long. My cucumbers died of the heat. I enjoy my garden. I hope yours produces. It feels good.

Kent said...

It's really enjoyable to watch the seeds germinate and sprout.

I'll be really surprised if we get any produce out of the garden this year. We started too late. We are gaining experience, though, and we'll be better prepared next spring.

Our neighbor never misses the opportunity to let us know that we started too late.

We are learning and we'll do better next year.

Larry said...

It is almost time for us to start our fall garden.

Kent said...

I can't imagine a fall garden. I am taking enough ribbing for my 4th of July Garden!! We don't know if we'll have produce or not. We are beginning to distinguish the lettuce, radishes, marigolds, cucumbers, carrots and a few empty squares.

Larry said...

What are you doing planting empty squares?

Kent said...

We thought we planted every square, but we were taking a hit and miss approach to planting. We are not sure if the seeds didn't germinate or if we missed them when we were planting. Whe were marking a chart with each thing we planted. I notice that we have two comes coming up in one square.

Next time, we'll be more organized.

Larry said...

Send us some white radishes.

Kent said...

I can send them, but they may not be edible by the time they got there.

Betty is really enjoying her garden. She is getting salad fixings almost daily now.

Larry said...

Is the garden still producing?

Kent said...

Yes, we are beginning to get all types of squash from the garden now. Betty is always very impatient to pick the produce. Sometimes I think she's too eager.

It's been a lot of fun.