July 26, 2008

Roses and Fawns


Our house is on the west side of Colorado Springs. It is just a few miles from the forrested mountains. I am surprised to see the deer as often as we do.

The other morning, Betty got up to let the dog out to do his business when she saw a couple of spotted fawns playing. They were on our lawn and that of our neighbor's next door. They were running and playing without regard to the people that were watching them play. Betty saw them, but I only had her word that it happened.


A few days later, Betty looked out the window and squealed. The deer were back with some of their family to play in the yard. This time, I grabbed the camera and took some pictures through the glass. Some of the pictures were not the best, but it was fun.


This picture shows the corner of our yard where our roses used to grow. We watched them bud and bloom earlier this summer. No sooner had they bloomed, that the blossoms were cropped off. Our neighbor who is a professional florist warned us that would happen. As soon as they see the red blossoms, they know they are just right to eat. They say that roses are edible. I'll have to try some rose petals in our next tossed salad.



The deer seemed quite bold so I opened the door and went out into the yard to join them. The dog barked and they cleared the fence just as if it weren't there. They were not eager to leave, however. They just stood there and watched us. It was as though they were enjoying watching us as much as we were enjoying them. There was no fear in them at all.

Looking towards our neighbor's yard, you can see a doe and her spotted fawns. I walked out to the corner of our yard. There is no fence, there is only a retaining wall that is about 24 inches high. Around to the right of a bush, I could see one of the twin fawns looking guardedly at me, a strange man with the flashing box.


As I stood still and watched, the little critter's curiosity won over caution. It came toward me with it's tail straight up in the air and it's nose twitching from right to left.


The telephoto lense on the camera allowed me to get close to the little venturer.



When I snapped this last photo, he turned and was gone.


Betty and I really enjoyed the deer that morning. We would even be willing to sacrifice a few roses to entice them into the yard.


10 comments:

Larry said...

Last Fast Sunday Eric was to deliver his packet to the Bishop. We drove to his house. His house is down by the lake. We noticed a doe peaking out of the woods and heading onto the road. Just behind the doe was a fawn. It was sad to see the small fawn had a broken leg that was swinging around as the fawn ambled on the other three legs. The fawn must not have been any bigger than a large dog.

It was sad.

Kent said...

It is sad when the wildlife pays a price when we encroach on their living space.

Andrea said...

awe, sweet story Dad, thanks for adding your quick recall of the same on a sadder note Uncle Larry!! :*-( Man, a face really is long when you add a tear!

Love you guys!

Andrea

Unknown said...

The deer are interesting. They have had to adjust to humans, they would not have a place if they didn't. I like you pictures. I appreciate the blog and if we are the only ones that use it. I t does bring us together. Thanks so much for it. Mom

Larry said...

I miss the mountains.

Kent said...

I miss the mountains too. Even though we live near them, we don't get up into them very often as I would like.

We can look out of our back window at Pikes Peak, but it's not the same as getting out and hiking in them.

Larry said...

I never really did like hiking in them so much. I did enjoy riding the ToteGote.

Kent said...

The ToteGotes were fun, but there were never enough to go around. When Dad had the one with the "automatic transmission", I ended up pushing as much as riding. I never did catch on how to make that thing work.

Larry said...

I miss the mountains.

Kent said...

I look at the mountains every day, but I don't get up into them often enough.

This Saturday, we are planning our yearly drive into the mountains to take in the beauty of the changing aspens.