January 17, 2009

The Jap Camp

Many years ago, when I worked at the Broadmoor Golf course, there was a large concrete pit that was referred to as the "Jap Camp". I was told that there was at one time a Japanese-America Interment camp in that pit. I asked others about the camp and was told that the camp held Japanese Americans during World War II. They worked on the Gold Camp Road and other construction projects around the Colorado Springs vicinity.
It's hard to believe that American Citizens were gathered up and put into these camps merely because of their country of origin.
I tried to find information on this camp on the Web and have found no references to it. I did find a reference to the Broadmoor hotel hiring workers from the interment camp from southeastern Colorado.
I found a reference to POW camp at Camp Carson, which is now Fort Carson and is just South of Colorado Springs. You will have to search on the page for "Japanese".

2 comments:

Larry said...

I had heard about the Jap Camp. There were some people that lived in Alamosa that were residents of one of camps. They were brothers that were veterinarians.

Kent said...

I have been told that "Jap" is a derogotory term and that I shouldn't use it. I used the term just as I heard it, and I had no intention of being derrogotory. Just the opposite is true. I believe that these interrment camps were unfair should not have happened.