January 21, 2009

To a dear friend

Anger is what I feel today!
My friend is parting; going his way
Because his job is ending before its time.
I cannot separate his misfortune from mine.
Guts are tied in knots with pain
Unable to feel relief that my fate's not the same.
Our paths made us both better men.
Useless anger needs replacing then.
Surrender, and in a grateful way be glad that he's a friend today.

Successful times were his and mine
Until the end of our productive time.
Only change is constant. In my life I'll always be
Unable to avoid things that cause pain, you see.
Give me help, Oh Lord I pray.
I need thy strength and comfort today
Because I cannot will my unkind world away.
My heart is full and on my knees,
Anger's replaced with sweetest peace.

Kent Vance

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Kent, you always creat great poetry.

Andrea said...

I'm sorry Dad! I got your note this morning from last night. I'm grateful that I have employment, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. I grateful that my children are taken care of and have loving family.

I'm grateful for you and know that you are feeling for Stan!!!

I love you!

ak

Unknown said...

I thank you for your poem and your feelings. I did this once today and it wouldn't post it. Losing a friend is hurtful, but they are never completely lost. Memories and future time takes care of many things.

Danette said...

I enjoy your poems! I only wish I could hear you telling them to me.

Gloria said...

Kent I hope you, Larry, and Nett are saving copies of your writings so you can put them all in a book some day.

Kent said...

Poetry is really best when it is read aloud.

Your mom gave Betty and I a book of poetry for Christmas. We have been reading it aloud at every meal. I am really enjoying it, and I think that Betty is too.