January 11, 2009

The Window of the Soul


When Betty and I were recently at Andrea's house, Matthew was showing us his fancy new camera that he just got for Christmas. Just for fun, he put his camera in front of my nose and clicked a picture of my eye. It was startling to see my eye separate from the rest of my face, and some interesting conversations followed about how the eye is the window of the soul.

Before long, Matthew had put the camera in front of each of our faces and had taken a picture or two. Most of Andrea's family has brown eyes. Matthew commented on how there was so much red in Luke's eye compared to his. Betty, Ashleigh and I have blue eyes. The group that day was half blue eyed, and half brown eyed.

When I was a missionary in Mexico, my blue eyes were often the topic of conversation because blue eyes were rare. I once had a boy watch my face as I talked and finally asked me if I saw the world blue. I could only ask him if he saw everything brown. I can't help if there is a difference.


Betty said that the eye tells us about the body. Iridology, the study of the eye to tell us about diseases of the body that are manifested through the markings of the eye. A couple of years ago, we were at the home of my Missionary companion, George Fillmore, who read the iris of Betty's eye and had told her pretty accurately about the health of her body.
We hear references to the eyes in our day to day speech. When someone is happy, we refer to the light in their eye. When someone is alert and attentive, they are bright eyed. When someone is not quick to understand, we might refer to their eyes being clouded. To trick someone is to pull the wool over their eyes. When we go into a business deal, we emphasize the importance of having the eyes wide open.
It is my contention that is important what we put in front of our eyes. We can enjoy the beauty of a flower or a sunset or a painting and we are nourished. We can also cause harm to our souls by putting things in front of our eyes that are not wholesome. Entertainment that is not wholesome is harmful to our souls. It is important that we choose carefully the things that we use our eyes for.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really interesting. I would like to know which eye belongs to whom. Nice eyes.

Kent said...

Tell me who you think they are. I'll let you know afterwards how close you are.

Andrea said...

I know, I know! HEHE

Larry said...

I, aye, eye, ai, hay. That is a whole bunch of good looking eyes. There are some good looking eye lashes in there too. Where are the brows?

Larry said...

Kent, Andrea, Ashley, Betty, Luke, and Matthew

Kent said...

You must have read the file names. You are one hundred percent correct.

The brows were intentionally removed, but they were there in the original photographs.

Betty took my picture with our camera. It's not as fancy as Matthew's new camera he's planning to take with him to Japan this summer.

Andrea said...

I knew without cheating! :D HEHE

Kent said...

I did first!

Danette said...

Okay Kent, here is a good funny on teeth. Rod Clement's book titled, "Grandpa's teeth." The cover picture is so fun. Grandpa sitting on his bed and his false teeth floating in a cup on the night stand. The illustrations are amazing. And the story hysterical. Let me know what you think.

Kent said...

The artwork is good. The language of the book is hilarious. I bet his teeth show up in his pocket.

I hope he doesn't bite himself when he sits on them.

Andrea said...

Hey Dad, where's the eye pics that Matthew took of your eyes?

Kent said...

I didn't receive the ones of my eye from you. If you have them and don't mind resending them, I'll replace the one I took. Mine isn't as good as the ones Matthew took. His would be better.

Kent said...

Andi and Matthew, did you notice that I replaced my photo with the one Matthew took. I like it a lot better, and it's the picture that sparked this exchange in the first place.

Andrea said...

Dad,

I did notice that you changed your photo to be the one that Matthew took at the kitchen table. I like it a lot better than the one that you took! I want the same camera!!

ak

Kent said...

Me too. The quality of Matthew's photos is so much better than what I can do with my camera, but for now, I'll have to make mine do.

Someone has said, "Fix it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without." I think that's going to be our motto for a while at this house.

Larry said...

I did not look at the file names. I used deduction to get to the answer. I know all of the eyes.

Kent said...

The eyes know you too!