December 01, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 20 - The Christmas Story


Tonight, we pulled down the Christmas boxes and set up the Nativity. We then discussed what Christmas is really about. We are both grateful for the gift that was given to us when Christ was born on Earth and for the gift of the atonement.

We are also grateful for Christmas traditions. This is the nativity set that Bonnie made for me back in 1973. Robert added the buildings about 1992. These little figurines remind us that the purpose of celebrating Christmas not the giving and receiving of gifts. It is to help us remember that the Son of God was born on Earth and gave his life for us.


There were shepherds watching their fields at night who received the news from angels on high.

The bible tells us that there were Wise men who came bearing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Tradition tells us there were three.

Each Christmas Eve, when I was a boy, my father read the story from Luke 2. I loved the story then, and I love the story now. I am grateful for the Savior's gift to each of us.




5 comments:

Danette said...

I ran across a cute Christmas story the other day, called "Papa Panov's special day. Have you read it?

Kent said...

I googled the title and found Papa Ponov's Special Day. It's a cute story.

Kent said...

It looks like there's a Children's book by the same name.

Unknown said...

When Arlo and I were first married, he didn't think it was necessary to celebrate Christmas, or to have a tree. I told him then that when I didn't celebrate Christmas and have a tree I would be to old. I still feel the same way. The fun thing about Arlo is how he loved Christmas. I would polish the floors, with the help of all of you and the Christmas tree would shine in it. Arlo would sit in his chair and look at it for all the time that he was home. Christmas was a great blessing at our home. The night before Christmas we always had a time when we went around the family as we sat around the room and say what was most important to us. It was a tradition that helped Arlo go gain a testimony of what was most important, our family and our Savior.

Danette said...

I have fond memories of sleeping under the Christmas tree at Grandma and Grandpa's, me along with my cousins anxiously stayed awake so we could catch Santa in action. Sadly we never did, however the memories of those times will always remain in my mind and heart. In fact I can see Grandpa in his chair right now, and the Christmas tree in the next room. Oh and the gingerbread house and the candy and the love and fun and the family!! Now on a different note, a few years I had the distinct feeling that the CHristmas lights that shined through the darkness was much like the light of Christ that pierces through the bleakest times.