December 02, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 21 - A gift for which I'll always be grateful.


I have a friend, Russ Petty, that is always busy. He was assigned as my Home teacher and I have really admired him. He may watch some television, but his hands are always busy. He makes powder horns from bulls' horns that are etched with beautiful scrimshaw patterns. He makes and flies kites. These were not ordinary kites. They were large enough that they can be ridden by a full grown man. He has clocks all over his home. Some are restored antiques, and some are built completely by him. One of his hobbies caught my attention. He made teddy bears. I admired his work, and he gave me a pattern and some fur. He then taught me to make them too.

This is one of Russ' bears that he gave as a gift to Betty. The kids have played with it and the bow has been tied and untied many many times.


My first attempts to make bears using the same pattern that Russ uses were clumsy and fun. Grandpa bear above was one of the first I made. I have made and placed about one hundred twenty five teddy bears. All of my grandchildren have at least one of my bears. My mother and my sister also have some one of my bears. Many of my bears have been placed with counselors who used them with clients who had experienced some kind of trauma. They seem to have a calming effect.


I started working with synthetic fur, but have made bears from denim, old tapestries, cheneel bedspreads and other materials. This bear was made from a real mink coat that belonged to singer, Ethel Merman . Her old mink coat was given to her hair dresser who gave it to a relative who gave it to me. (I'm sure you are thinking, "yeah sure!".) I took the coat apart and cut it into pieces. One completed bear went back to the person who gave me the coat and the others were mine. This poor bear's ear is coming loose. I need for someone to teach me how to make stitches that don't come loose with play.


I bought this bear and gave it to Betty when she had surgery once. Several times, I have suggested that she get rid of it so that we can downsize our household. She won't let go of it. It must meet a need of some sort.


This bear was also made from an old fur coat. I believe it's brushed wool. I need to get some final touches added and get it back to it's owner. I also need to complete it's partner who is in pieces in a basket in my closet.

Russ could have given me a bear and he would have been done with it. His gift to me was much longer lasting. He taught me how to make them as well. This hobby has given me many many hours of pleasure, and I believe that the product from my hobby has also benefitted others as well. I am grateful for this gift from my friend Russ.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

The bears that you made for me have been a blessing to me. I treasure them.