December 24, 2008

Tis the night before Christmas



'Tis the night before Christmas, and all through the pad
The children are missing, we're feeling sad'
No stockings are hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that St. Nicolas soon will be there;


No children are nestled all snug in their beds;
With visions of ipods that dance in their heads;
And Grandma in her nightie and I in my jammies,

Have just settled down with full little tummies;

When out on the road there is a heavy thick fog
I spring from the bed just wanting to blog.
Away to the keyboard to type a short note
I've turned on the computer and started to gloat.


The glow of the screen of the blogs does show
News of my grandchildren wherever they go
What do my wondering eyes should appear
But six little grandchildren that I hold so dear.

With a little old cursor so tiny and quick
I moved from family to family with a click
More rapid than eagles the pages they came
I read and chuckle as I search for each name.


“Now Matthew! Now, Luke, Now Aubrey and Ashleigh!
On Hannah! On Chloe! The keys I'm a smashing
To the Homes in South Dakota! To the top of the mall
Now come away! come away! come away all!”


As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstable, mount to the sky,
So up to their beds the grandkids they flew,
With dreams full of toys, and St. Nicolas too.

And then, in a moment, parents hear them all snore
Till the pictures are rattling and so does the door.
As I click on my mouse and am surfing around
Down the staircase their parents come with a bound.

They were all covered in sweat from their heads to their feet,
And their clothes were all dirty and they were lookin so beat;
A bundle of toys they have hung on their backs,
They look like some peddlers just opening their packs.

Their eyes – how they're heavy! They need some more sleep;
They head for the bedroom to count some more sheep.
Their wallets are empty, drawn up like a bow,
But deep in their hearts they're' feeling aglow.

The path of my mouse held tight in my thumb
Goes from house to house and just makes me feel numb
But I have a broad little smile and a big round belly
That shakes when I laugh like a bowl full of jelly.

I'm chubby and plump, a lonely old elf,
I laugh when I see them in spite of myself.
A wink of my eye and a twist of my hand
Soon gives me to know that all over the land;

Just laying a finger to the side of my mouse,
And giving a click fills up my whole house.
So I spring to my chair, to my mouse give a quick whistle
And here they all come like the down of a thistle.

Hear me exclaim, as I click through the night,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Great job on the story! We were missing family this year too. Hope you had a great Christmas anyway!

Larry said...

I resemble that Santa.

Kent said...

You are that Santa! I couldn't think of a better way to illustrate this article than borrowing a photo from your blog. I should have asked permission first.

Larry said...

You have my permission to use any of the photos I have ever or will ever take. I really enjoyed your little parody. We are Craig's house. We are taking mom home today and will be there until Saturday night.

Gloria said...

This reminds me of the time when we were in Alamosa and you guys wrote a similar word in Spanish! Happy Christmas to you too both too. The Blog is a great way to keep in touch with one another. Merry Christmas.... Happy Holidays to all as well...

Unknown said...

Kent, You do such a good job of posting poems or opinions. So do Larry, and all of those who use the blog to communicate. I do appreciate it so. My computer was acting up for a few days and I had so little patience with it. It is now fixed. I will try to do better this year. I love the books. I have really been reading them and enjoying them I missed a lot of the things as they were posted. Thanks Larry and Jeanette. Love to all of you.