December 04, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 23 - Givers and Takers

There seem to be two kinds of people in the world. Some are givers and some are takers.
There are people in this world that spend their lives looking to get something for nothing. In school, they were the students who studied just enough to pass the tests. Sometimes their scores were stolen rather than earned. In the workplace, they are the people who put in only what is required an no more. In the community, they are the first in line to get a free handout. At church, they are the first to ask for assistance and the last to accept a calling to help carry their own weight.
On the other side of the scale are those who are always going the second mile. In the schools, these are the students who do more than is required when doing assignments. In the workplace, they are concerned about their co-workers yet are conscientious about completing whatever needs to be accomplished and more. In the community these are the people who are looking for others who they can help. They look for opportunities to serve without giving a thought to being seen or recognized or to receiving thanks. In the church, these are the people who have more than one assignment and who give their whole heart to everything they do.
When we were children, our family often selected another family for whom we would serve as a "Secret Santa." We thought of each member of the family we chose. We provided a gift for them that would be appropriate. We selected the perfect tree and decorated it for them. We would secretly place the presents and the tree on the porch of the chosen family. We rang the doorbell and then we ran and hid. It was very important that the family never know where the gifts came from. It was a wonderful feeling to know that a needy family had received our offering, and it was equally rewarding to remain anonymous.

I am grateful that in my life I have known both. I am equally thankful that I have known more givers in my life than takers. I pray that I will always remember to be a giver before being a taker.

3 comments:

Larry said...

I am glad that you have posted your items of gratefulness. I have in the recent past referred to your discussion of giving and taking in one of my priesthood lessons. I really believe that the discriminator of who will be the sheep versus who will be the goats comes down to this simple principle. It could be expressed in other words, like love versus hate, or charity versus greed, but it all comes from being either selfish or giving. I am glad that you are willing to give.

Kent said...

I haven't always been a giver. There have been times in my life that I was a taker and thought first of myself then of others. Those times brought nothing but unhappines for me and for those I loved. If I give every day that I have left, I don't think I would ever be able to make up for those times in my life that I didn't have that attitude.

Unknown said...

I agree that that is a fact of life. I have always been thankful for coming from a family that gave more than they take. One time Leon and Jean were having a difficult time financially and asked for help. My grandparents, aunts and uncles all sent some money. Someone said, "ask when it can be repaid". I said that nobody expected the money returned. That was a good lesson for me. I think that one of the great blessings of being a member of the church, is that we don't think of being paid for special help. I believe that all of my children give with great heart.