December 03, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 22 - Employment

Today and yesterday, I took two vacation days. I spent the day with Betty walking the dog and doing some pre-Christmas shopping. We really love walking down the streets of old Colorado City where usually at this time of year all of the shops are touting their holiday wares. I could hardly believe my eyes at the number of closed businesses we encountered.
Many of the stores that are bustling this time of year were relatively quiet. There are shoppers out, but it's not the same as other years. The spirit is subdued.
There are places in our city that homeless people have been occasionally seen. It seems to be a bigger problem than it has been in the past. Today I saw a clean looking young man with a sleeping bag and a back pack on his back. When it's cold out like it was today, it's especially noticeable.
This evening, I am really grateful for my job. There may be times that I am frustrated with the job I have and gripe because retirement is so far away, but today I am grateful for the job I do have.
If I am truly grateful for my job, my performance on the job needs to indicate that is the case. I'll hit the conveyor belt running in the morning.

6 comments:

Larry said...

I too am grateful for my employment. It seems that I things have not gone as I would have them, but they are better than what could be.

Anonymous said...

Kent, thank you for all the smiles and kind words you have given me. When I see you on Sunday I will give you the names of a couple of fantastic dentists that I would trust. With regards to this post, it is amazing how many people keep losing their jobs. I hope and pray that we are nearing the bottom of this economic turmoil. It is sad to see so many people hit so hard this close to Christmas.

jen said...

It really is such a difference in feel this year. It may not be shockingly noticeable, but it's there....maybe it's more like noone wants to admit it's there. Good for you in looking on the bright side of life and being grateful. Ever since the Ballards talks on sunday, I've been really thinking more about what it is I'm grateful for. Thankyou for the positive outlook you have.
ps-the protest was in Norfolk, Va. We stood out there to voice our opions on the War in Iraq. Our signs said, "spend money on education, not oil" and the little boy's sign said "i like trucks". he was so proud of his sign he made. :)

Danette said...

When we moved to Wellsville we decided to take on the job with Gramoll as a project manager. At first it was really hard; the pay cut was difficult to deal with but as we see the building industry take a dive it looks to be that we jump ship at the right time. Amazing how things turn out. Here I complained and yet the Lord was probably saying, "if only you knew what I do for you."

Unknown said...

The Lord says, if we are prepared we need not fear. There are a lot of indications that things are getting harder to bear. We will make it, but it may be hard.

Andrea said...

I too am very grateful for my employment! I work for good men that have been very good to me, and it is hard to see them struggle to keep me employed! It's time to get that education I've put on to do something else. I wish I had the brains of my father and my Uncle! I just don't retain enough information in my little brain! :(