December 09, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 28 - Winter

Although I like a routine that I feel comfortable with, I am easily bored and thrive when there is a variety in my life. Variety makes life interesting and pleasant. Contrast makes beauty more noticeable to me.

There is a chill in the air that requires a hat and scarf and gloves. There is a crunch in my step as I move through the freshly fallen snow. The ground is clean and white and pure. The warm moisture in my breath is converted to small clouds it the cold air. The leaves are gone from the trees exposing the beauty of their architecture. The spectrum of colors is distinct to this season. I love the contrast of the dark night and the Christmas lights.

I will enjoy the other seasons as they come, but for today I will be grateful for Winter. I will try hard not to complain when I have to shovel the snow or scrape the ice. I will try to be careful on the ice that winter brings to busy streets. When Spring and Summer and Autumn come, I will have the opportunity to be grateful for them as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Our winter here in St George, is different, but it feels cold, eventhough there is seldom snow. I have only seen snow here 2 or 3 times in the years that I have lived here. I don't miss the cleaning the walks or driving on icy roads. I do miss driving all together.

Kent said...

I understand your missing driving. I went 25 years without driving because of my epilepsy.

I hated the years that I had to depend on others to provide transportation for me. There was a good side to it though. I did a lot of walking and was a lot thinner.

I enjoy every time I get behind the wheel now and am grateful that I have the liberty of being able to drive.