November 24, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 11 - Serenity

Alcoholics Anonymous has a prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
As I thought about this simple prayer, I thought what it would mean in my life. One of the things I cannot change is the past. What was, was. No effort on my part can change it. I am grateful for the serenity I feel with that statement.
I can change how I behave today. I can make the most of each day. I can make more of an effort to say, Thank You, Sorry, and I love you when appropriate. I can keep my mouth closed when silence is best. I pray that I will know which is which.

1 comment:

Danette said...

One statement my dad has said that I like is: "I can't change the past only the future."