November 30, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 18 - Sister

Christmas is coming. I cannot think of Christmas without thinking of my Sister, Bonnie. She was a lot of fun when we were kids, but she was especially fun at Christmas time.
One year, I remember that we watched from the doorway as Santa placed all of the presents under the tree. As soon as Santa and his helpers had left, we waited about three minutes. We went into the room. We rearranged things the way we thought that Santa should have done it in the first place. We proceeded to wake up everyone in our household. We continued by calling all of the neighbors until every light in the neighborhood was on.
When I was a young GI in Colorado Springs, Bonnie gave me a special Christmas gift. She knew that I loved to paint and that I had a blossoming interest in ceramics. She gave me a greenware nativity set. I enjoyed preparing it. I enjoyed painting it, and for more than 35 years, that nativity set has been the centerpiece in our holiday celebration to remind us about the true meaning of Christmas.
I grateful for my sister for her thoughtfulness, her kindness, and for her love of Christmas.


3 comments:

Danette said...

Over eight years ago I bought myself the cutest pair of ceramic moose, they each hold a sign: wishes for the holiday season. They are cute....but would be cuter painted. For eight years now they have remained white and ready to have color, but I want them to look so . . so they sit unpainted, maybe one day. . .

Andrea said...

Once Christmas Bonnie woke us all up at 3 a.m. to open Christmas presents! I've NEVER known anyone to be more excited about Santa visiting!

Aunt Bonnie is a treasure and I wish that I would have been able to know her better as a child! I missed that special connection that Danette, Marcy and Cory had with her, but the time that I DID have with her has always been wonderful!

Andrea said...

Once Christmas Bonnie woke us all up at 3 a.m. to open Christmas presents! I've NEVER known anyone to be more excited about Santa visiting!

Aunt Bonnie is a treasure and I wish that I would have been able to know her better as a child! I missed that special connection that Danette, Marcy and Cory had with her, but the time that I DID have with her has always been wonderful!