November 14, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day one - My sweetheart

This month is November, the traditional month in our country for Thanksgiving. On one of the blogs that I have been reading regularly, someone is doing 30 days of gratitude and has challenged her readers to do the same. I would like to take that challenge.

On the top of my list is my sweetheart. I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on. She had paint in her hair and a red flannel shirt that had a torn pocket. I knew from the minute that I met her that she was someone special.


Our first date was one that I'll never forget. That day, we took in a big band bash at the Broadmoor. We drove to Buena Vista and took a rafting trip down the Arkansas river. We enjoyed a long drive back to the Springs afterwards. We were so tired that we had to take a nap along the side of the road. I love her for the memories.
Betty believed in me at a time in my life that I really needed someone to believe in me. That belief has been so strong that I have found myself wanting to be a better man. I have wanted to be worthy of her love. I love her for making me a better man.
When my children came to live with us, it wasn't always easy. She opened her arms to them and extended her heart. I love her for that. I believe that they do too. We had fun growing together. I love her for her support.
When my job took me away from Betty's home and family, she came with me willingly. Together, we made new friends and started anew. I love her companionship.
As her Mother passed away and her Dad was alone, she wanted to come home and support her Dad. I love her for her selflesness.
Betty is a primary teacher. She loves her students. The ones that she is teaching now, and the ones that she taught decades ago still hold a special place in her heat. She puts her energy and creativity into each lesson. I love her for her talents.
She is true to her beliefs. It isn't always easy or convenient, but she is as true as the northern star. I love her for her faith.
Betty's laugh begins from her toes and wriggle its way to her crown. She loves a joke or a funny story. Her grandchildren's stories of discovering the world around her tickle her senses and dance in the twinkle of her eyes. I love her sense of humor.
Betty is a good friend. She is a good friend to the friends in her Old Hen's Club, she is a good friend to her neighborhood friends and she is a good friend to me. I love her for her loyalty.
Each day with Betty is a new experience. Each sunrise is greeted with anticipation and each sunset is appreciated in awe. I love sharing my life with Betty.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Yesterday I was thinking that I should be turning away from being so cynical and express my gratitude for the things that I do have. I am grateful for many things and I need to express it.

Unknown said...

Kent, that was really special. Betty is a very special person and I see a great person in her and in you, also, Kent

Brenda said...

Dad, I've always been so thankful that you came into our lives! You have no idea how blessed I feel to be able to call you Dad, and that my children have such an awesome Papa! I've often told you that I would not have been able to move to South Dakota if Mom would have been alone. It gave and still gives me great comfort knowing that she has a wonderful man to love her and care for her. I love you!!!

Kent said...

Brenda, when I married your Mom, you came into my life. I will always be grateful for that.

There is no feeling that can compare with the love that family feels for one another. I love your Mom, true, but I also love you and am very grate for our little family.