November 18, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 5 - Anerner


I'll never forget that October day when my life was changed forever. I spent her first night at home alone considering all that it meant to be a Dad and having a daughter. I was glad to bring her and her mom home from the hospital.
Andi was my first child and I saw the world differently because she was mine. I remember going out and buying a little toy stove. It wasn't appropriate for an infant as it had little tiny pieces that Andi would not be able to handle for a long time, but I was thinking of my little girl and things that she would enjoy seeing and doing. Boy did I have some things to learn!
She used to sit and play in the flowerbeds. Actually, she was just playing in the dirt. She was handling it, wearing it, and devouring it and digesting it. She enjoyed the dirt as she does everything in life.
She had a little friend that couldn't say her name. When she said, "Andrea", it sounded more like Anerner. That worked for me and it became my pet name for her.
The hardest thing I ever did in my life was to watch her walk down to the end of the block and around the corner on her first day of kindergarten. I was later to get a job in the same school and was able to go to school with her and her brother and come home with them and to see the world through her eyes. I am grateful to my little sweetheart for her innocent view of the world. That would change.
Life isn't always easy. Mistakes I made in my life led to a divorce from Andi's mother and a separation from Andi. I missed those years that we might have had if we had continued to live in the same home together, but my love for her never wavered.
Andi came to live with me at the age of 16. I was so excited to have her in my life daily again. Andi's perspective had changed, and I too got to develop a new perspective.
My little Andi could be a challenge! I could always count on her to say the darndest things at the most inconvenient times! There have been times that she has tried my patience, but when I have been discouraged, she has lifted me up and encouraged me.
Life goes on. Andi has grown up and now has a family of her own. It's fun to watch her interact with and teach and love her children.

This year, Andi sent Betty a Mother's Day card with a picture of a girl with broccoli up her nose and she sent me a Fathers Day card telling me that of all the people who exasperated her, she loved me most. It's nice to know that you've been remembered and that you are loved. It's nice to be remembered with a little bit of humor.
Andi is so good at seeing herself with a bit of humor. She posted this picture of herself, and I love it. She's a beautiful girl, but doesn't take life too seriously.

I am looking forward to seeing her this Thanksgiving. I am so very grateful that she is part of my life and that I am part of hers.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I,too am glad for Andrea, I have enjoyed her blog posts. The children are surely growing up. I can hardly realize how they have grown.

I remember when Andrea was born, too. She was a beautiful child and is still beautiful to me. I am thankful that all of you are a part of my life. Thanks for the blog.

Andrea said...

I was 15 when I came to live with you, I turned 16 in your care, but close enough.

I'm grateful that I had that opportunity!