November 15, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 2 - Parents



I like, Nephi of old, was born of goodly parents. They were two sweet people who set my feet squarely on the path of life and securely placed my hand on the iron rod. I am grateful to them for the love they have given me and for the faith they have had in me. I am grateful for those principals that are part of me because of them.

My father was not an educated man in his own estimation. He completed the eight grade formally and then completed his education in the school of experience. He was proud of his children as we got our diplomas. I am grateful for his encouragement to complete my college education.
Dad taught me to love the mountains from whence he came. He grew up in the mountains near Fox Creek Colorado. As a boy, he loved to hunt and fish. I didn't inherit his skills of hunting and fishing, but I did learn from him to love the mountains. I am grateful for the the ability to find beauty in God's creations.

When Donnie went on his mission, I was given the opportunity to work in the service station with my Dad and my brother, Larry. I loved those years. They gave me the chance to see a wonderful side of Dad.

In my last conversation with him before he passed away, he was helping me through one of the tough times between my wife and I. He told me he didn't always know the answers, but he told me he wanted me to be happy. He told me of his lack of confidence in himself, of his desire to see me make the right choices in life and of his love for my Mother. When I looked at my Dad, I saw a man who did his very best to provide for his family and to love them. I saw a man whose example I wanted to follow. I am grateful for his love for my siblings, for me and for my mother.

My Mom has always been my friend. She has worked hard at helping me develop my testimony of the Gospel. She has always worked hard at being a good example. I am grateful for her example.

She has sacrificed to give me what I needed spiritually, physically, and emotionally. I'll never forget the lesson that she gave me about the Ode on the Grecian Urn. I always get a warm feeling when I think about the year that she cut her winter coat into pieces to make me a warm winter coat. I will always be grateful for the year that she came to live with me in Colorado Springs. She, Betty and I were like the three musketeers.
Mom continues to be a dear friend to me. She still lives her live in an examplary manner. I am grateful to her for that.
I am grateful for the anticipation of being together with my parents again. That makes the hard times easier and the good times more rewarding. I am grateful for good parents.


6 comments:

Larry said...

@Kent,

You should proof your post again.

Thank you for sharing.

Danette said...

I have wonder memories of being at grandma's and grandpa's. I too was lucky to have such wonder grandparents. And Uncles!!
I have fond memories of family. At the reunion when you shared your story telling talent it brought me back to a wonderful time in my life. I'm lucky to have these times as mine.

Unknown said...

Kent, thank you for a sweet post. I love all of you so much and want to have you as my family for eternity. I'm grateful for the reminders of the past and how precious they are to me. I love you with all my heart. You, Betty and your children are a great blessing to me.

Kent said...

Larry, I found a mistake and read it over again. If there are more mistakes, I'm not seeing them. Help me out.

Danette, I love you. You make me feel loved and needed. I am so happy that you are part of my life.

Mom, Family seems to be a recurring theme, doesn't it?

Andrea said...

I am grateful to my parents!! Dad and Betty have been a wonderful blessing to me and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to be with them and learn and grow from them!! I'm grateful that my children have them in my life as well. I don't know what they ever would have done without their grandparents in their lives!!

I love you BOTH!

Kent said...

Dear sweet Anerner. There is nothing I long for more than being together with my parents and with my children. I think that's the way it should be, but that's a thought for another night.