November 06, 2008

Winter Storms in South Dakota

We were talking to Brenda and Tim and their family this evening. They are having a major winter storm and have huge drifts from the blowing snow. Betty got some pictures and they are pretty impressive.


Last night, they got a fireworks show when the top four feet of a pine tree broke off and fell into the power lines. They were without power for the night and were worried about how they could stay warm. They all huddled together in the living room.








I was talking to Chloe. She was telling me all about the snow. I asked her if she had played in the snow yet. She she couldn't because she didn't have any snow shoes. Being the ornery old codger that I am, I told her and Aubrey that I used to use burlap bags for snow shoes. I was really dissappointed when I got no reaction. I told their mother that she has the duty of teaching her little girls what burlap bags are. When I spin a yarn, I want them to understand.











5 comments:

Unknown said...

Winter storms can be so frightening. I don't remember ever having that much snow. I remember having enough that the school bus couldn't go on the dirt roads and some of the students were not able to get to school for a day or two. I am glad that I don't have to shovel snow. The best to those who do have to. Brenda and family, I hope things are alright with you. Grandma Gatha

Larry said...

When Jeanette and I moved to Denver from Texas in 1988 it was during the summer. We were finally settled in our house about the time school started. An early snow storm surprised us. We did not have any snow boots. Jeanette prepared the boys to go to school by putting bread bags on their feet with rubber bands. 9News had a crew out to see the new snow and managed to get our children in the ill state of preparation. They are now famous because they were on the 9News at 6.

Danette said...

Hope your holidays will be Yummy! We love you too.

Brenda said...

This winter has been very snowy and cold. It's been many, many years since we've had weather like this up here in South Dakota. We've gotten spoiled with the mild winters that we've had for so long. We keep getting more snow and the old stuff isn't melting away like it has in years past. So we did get to have a white Christmas by default!

Kent said...

We have no snow on the ground here. We've had a lot of wind and the wind melts the snow. I am not complaining. It's better than having to shovel snow. I believe that when it shows, it should only show on the grass, not on the pavement or on the concrete.

Isn't it amazing that when we have a cold harsh winter like we've had this year, it makes us grateful for the nice summers and springs when they come.