November 22, 2008

Thirty Days of Gratitude - Day 9 - Health



Betty and I were discussing what we are thankful for today. The subject of health came up and I have to admit that I am very grateful for my health. Especially after the last couple of years.
A while back, I reached behind me in my pickup and a pain shot through my shoulder. It became difficult to reach behind me and I finally went to the Dr. Several tests concluded that I had torn my left rotator cuff and surgery was recommended. The surgery was completed and after a course of physical therapy, I again have full use of my left arm and shoulder.
I developed pneumonia and the Physician requested more diagnostic imaging. A dark spot was evident in the films. After a battery of tests, I was diagnosed with Cancer in my thyroid gland. The gland and other tissue was removed from my throat. The Dr. told us that the tumor was close to the vocal chord and that there was a possibility that I would lose my voice, and he reviewed the options that we would have to continue if that were to happen. It wasn't necessary, and gratefully it appears that the cancer is completely gone.
I started to have pain in my thumb and again headed off to the Dr. Another surgery was recommended to resolve a trigger finger, a condition caused by inflammation of the tendons in the hand. After the surgery and recovery, I have full use of my hand again.
This sounds like a list of things I am sharing for a bit of sympathy. That really isn't my purpose. Rather it is to express gratitude for the miracles of medicine and of faithful prayers offered by my family. All of the problems I had have been addressed and I am healthy. I can walk and talk and have full use of my arms and hands. The things that have happened recently have served to help me see just how precious health is and how important it is to safeguard it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is true that good health is a blessing. As I get older, I am having things happen to my body that I am going to a Dr. to see about
Kent, I am glad that those things are behind you and you are doing well. Whatever our problems are, we are the most blessed people on earth. The gospel is true and life is a great experience. I love life.

Kent said...

God was wise to instill in us a love for life. That keeps us here to accomplish the things that we need to do.

I am grateful for you and the things you have taught me.